The story behind Pirate Flag Skeleton Heart of John Phillips
Originally John Phillips was an honest English shipwright. During a voyage from Bristol to America, his ship was captured by pirates under the command of Thomas Anstis. Being a skilled craftsman, John Phillips was forced to join Anstis’ crew.
Quickly converted into a true pirate, John Phillips stayed on Thomas Anstis’s ship for 1 year before Anstis abandoned them in Tobago following a surprise British ship attack. Returning to England after avoiding capture by hiding, John Phillips set sail again with a few men to form his own band of English pirates.
He captured 34 ships in less than 8 months before being killed after a mutiny by his prisoners.
The John Phillips Pirate Flag
The English pirate flag of Captain John Phillips is a black flag with a skeleton in the middle surrounded by a shield and a heart pierced by a bloody lance. 3 strong symbols of piracy, the hourglass to signify the passing of time to his opponents, the skeleton for certain death and the stabbed heart for a violent death.
Details of Pirate Flag Skeleton Heart
- Jolly Roger flag adapted for outside (boat, mat) or wall decoration
- Printing : HD silk-screening for rich and brilliant colors giving an exceptional rendering
- Solid seams resistant to wind and rain
- White reinforcing strip on left side for hanging or hoisting the flag
- 2 x Heavy duty metal grommets (brass)
- Composition: 100% Polyester material, light and resistant, allowing to fly easily and proudly in the wind
- Dimensions: 2×3 ft (60×90 cm) or 3×5 ft (90×150 cm)
- Washable at low temperature