The story behind the Bartholomew Roberts Flag, a renowned pirate
John Roberts aka The Black Baronet, better known as Bartholomew Roberts, a name he is said to have chosen as a tribute to Buccaneer Bartholomew Sharp. Born in Wales, he is said to have become a sailor at the age of 13 to become one of the most famous pirates of his time, including the most successful career in piracy in history.
Indeed, many exploits are attributed to him, for example, he would have succeeded in capturing 22 ships in a single catch, which is exceptional. During his years at sea, he would have hijacked more than 400 ships. Black Bart is also said to have participated in the development of the pirate code.
He was an unusual pirate, because his personality did not fit the stereotype of a pirate. For example, he was well dressed, had good manners, did not drink alcohol and had an excellent pen. Perhaps this was the reason for his great success.
A quote from him sums up the philosophy of this legendary pirate:
What do you get from honest work? Meager rations, low wages and hard work. With us it is abundance till we are hungry, pleasure and ease, freedom and power; how to swing if you count, when all you risk in the worst case is the sad mine you make at the end of the rope. A short but good existence will be my motto.
The Pirate Flag of Bartholomew Roberts ABH AMH, a sign of revenge
Commanding several ships in his pirate life, such as the Fortune, the Royal Fortune, and the Good Fortune, he also had many pirate flags during his epics. Here he is seen holding a flaming sword stomping on two skulls, that of a Barbadian and that of a Martiniquian (ABH = A Barbadian’s Head and AMH = A Martiniquian’s Head). This Bartholomew pirate flag was notably hoisted in revenge after an attack by the latter that nearly proved fatal.
If you too feel that revenge is inevitable, get the Bartholomew Roberts pirate flag ABH AMH
Details of Bartholomew Roberts Flag
- Jolly Roger fag adapted for outside (boat, mat) or wall decoration
- Printing : HD silk-screening for rich and brilliant colors giving an exceptional rendering
- Solid seams resistant to wind and rain
- White reinforcing strip on left side for hanging or hoisting the flag
- 2 x Heavy duty metal grommets (brass)
- Composition: 100% Polyester material, light and resistant, allowing to fly easily and proudly in the wind
- Dimensions: 2×3 ft (60×90 cm) or 3×5 ft (90×150 cm)
- Washable at low temperature